Saturday, October 4, 2014

piecing things together

When I was checking in my bags at the O'Hare airport on our way to England, I was told that I could not take any of my paints with me, because they are "unstable" at flying altitude. I considered arguing that I had successfully transported them both to and from Japan in my suitcase, but there was an official-looking sign at the counter indicating that oil paints are not allowed, and you and I both know exactly how far you get arguing with airport people. 

So, I am without paints until I can figure out where to go to start replacing my stock. Rather than wallow in righteous resentment, I've decided to keep my hands busy by taking an online workshop in collage, led by artist Randel Plowman, of the inspiring A Collage A Day blog. 

I like how collages can be quick studies of color and composition, and it's oddly freeing to work with just a limited range of materials. The results have been looser, less protected, less calculated.


Except for THIS assignment, which was to start with a concept, and create a collage to illustrate it. This is usually how I overwork and kill a painting -- by trying to make it conform to a pre-conceived idea -- but here I tried to be more vague in my definitions and allow for accidents. 

Home -- the colors and creatures of my beloved Lake Michigan:


Home -- apples in season, like a diorama in the Public Museum of my childhood:


Dream -- an convoluted explanation of a simple event, in shapes, shadows on the periphery:


Desire -- a thread connecting the object to my imagination, the gulf that separates me from what I want:


And then I felt impatient with myself for staying too much within the lines of what I always do, so I made these last two without any perimeters:


This one is my favorite:


Which one says what, do you think?

*





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Somehow that last one still says Lake Michigan to me. Lovely colors and shapes. Jan